We stopped by La Cocina (the kitchen) around lunchtime. Although I’d already eaten, I was offered a
sample of the boys' food: tender shreds of pork swimming with hominy in a well-seasoned
tomato-based sauce. Of course I couldn’t resist! Toppings included thinly shredded fresh
cabbage, sliced radishes, chopped onion, and a super-spicy almost paste-like
yellow sauce. Soooooo delicious. I watched as hungry boys eagerly chowed down
on this hot-hot-and-spicy mixture, scooping it with corn tostadas – a
heart-warming sight. Here’s Eva (on the
right), the head cook, with one of her two helpers as well as one of the older orphan
boys.
I was excited to meet Guillermo, who was also eating
lunch with the boys. This is the guy I featured in my
Facebook post back on February 9 (look it up if you’re interested in learning about his GoFundMe page) who is currently in school to earn a
psychology degree and be better equipped to meet boys' needs. He was a delightful, energetic, bright-eyed fella, and with the help of Fritz jr’s
translation we were able to enjoy conversation.
At this same time, a special delivery arrived at the orphanage: three donated, brand new guitars! It was super-fun to be there at just the right moment to witness the unveiling. A few of the boys will be starting lessons soon – so exciting!

Fritz jr. suggested an afternoon outing to “walk
around some cool remote spot.” So we
took off in his Jeep (Grand Cherokee 4x4) and drove south along the Pacific shoreline, passing countless little
vendors offering beautiful pottery....if only I could somehow transport a couple
of those artistic masterpieces to my deck in Michigan! After bumping over rutted
dirt roads (all Mexican back roads in this area are not graded or maintained in
any way, so are full of potholes) we ended up in an incredibly peaceful spot I
called “beyond the boonies.” This was
not a park or designated area of any kind, just wild, unclaimed land stretching
for miles with only a very few ranchers sprinkled here and there.
We rambled at will, discovering abundant herb-like plants as well as others with delicate flowers growing wild in the rocky-sandy terrain. At
one point Fritz sr. held “Western lore story time” - a Louis L’Amour oration about life and cattle drives in the Old West. Fritz jr. listened from beneath a spreading
tree (I have no idea what kind, but its leaves resembled holly).
In a moment of spontaneity, Fritz jr. took off to conquer a sandy hill covered with
brush, and we watched from below as he climbed to the top. If you look really-really closely, you can see him about half-way up in the bottom picture.
The day ended with a crackling campfire in the new pit beneath a sliver of a moon hanging in an otherwise inky black sky - a dramatic and fitting end to a spectacular day in Mexico!




No comments:
Post a Comment