Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Mexico Travelogue - Day 15




Day 15 began at 4:30 a.m. when I rose to help the guys pack lunch for their chartered fishing trip in Ensenada. They left at 5:00, still a little groggy but in high spirits, in time to meet their buddy and head south for the appointed 7:00 launch.

I was fully awake at that point, so stayed up for a couple of hours to catch up on computer goings-on. Around 6:30 I climbed back between the sheets for a little luxury down-time. Cosmo desperately wanted to join the slumber party, and tried to “talk” his way to that end with dog-grunts and affectionate pawing.  But he remained obedient and on the floor (good dog, Cosmo).

A little before 9:00 I decided to officially begin the day - so dressed in leisurely fashion and slipped into homemaker mode to tackle some light housecleaning and cooking.  The house was quiet, a nice change of pace from an auditory point of view, and I enjoyed having productive focuses.  In the early afternoon I finished edging a strip next to the house newly planted with succulents by digging along the edge of the sod to straighten it, then placing smooth stones discovered in other literal “digging around” in the yard as a border.  I also replanted a pot by the laundry hut with some scraggly offshoots that will hopefully be more likely to thrive in their new location, and used white stones (also scrounged) beneath two larger plants on either side of the gate to the side yard.  The effect was pleasing, I thought, with a cleaned-up look.



 



Surprisingly, the guys returned earlier than expected, around 3:30.  Evidently 8 of the 10 passengers on the boat succumbed to violent seasickness, Fritz sr. included (his first time ever - he's faced high seas with significant swells in the past without issue).  Fishing was also slow, so they headed for shore a few hours before the scheduled time.  Fritz jr. also faced a shorter version of queasiness, but thankfully was able to land a couple of fish!  Alas, I have no pictures of this outing at this point...

In the evening we hosted “American dinner” at Fritz jr’s house.  The American staffers get together weekly on Tuesdays for a pitch-in meal as their schedules allow, and it was a real treat to visit with this group of truly special people who have willingly responded to the Lord’s unique call on their lives.  I loved the food, including a vast array of salads – so delicious – and the mutual encouragement. 

 




No comments: