Saturday, January 4, 2014

Exploration




White craters and moguls* overlaid the lake early this morning to resemble the surface of the moon.  The sun cast shadows across the frozen expanse, intensifying visual dynamics: ripples, hills, basins, clean sweeps, sculpted cliffs. 

I had no desire to brave the elements and explore this austere, if alluring, wilderness.  However, even as I proclaimed my intentions out loud - “You won’t catch me going out there!” -  I noticed a few brave souls tromping across the ice near the opposite shoreline. 

By zooming in my camera lens, I effectively documented their Lewis and Clark expedition into the lunar-like backcountry.  Perhaps they were hardy fishermen, I reasoned.  Or maybe they’d simply pursued the occupation of exploring a pristine environment far away from bedazzling technology, leftover holiday candy, and other consuming, potentially destructive, attractions.  If that were the case, I envied their objective.  Perhaps in the process of investigating moguls and valleys they might also reconnoiter with some forgotten or ignored, but authentic, part of themselves.




*In Scandinavia’s medieval period, Norsemen named mounds and of snow “mugl,” meaning “little heap.”  From this comes our word “mogul,” used most commonly to describe a bump of snow on a ski slope.

No comments: