This evening I carefully wrapped and packaged artsy blown glass ornaments that have been dangling from Christmas tree branches for the past six weeks. Hand-knit
stockings spotlighting the fireplace mantle and mistletoe hanging from a
conspicuous red bow over the kitchen door met the same fate. Five full boxes are now stacked
and waiting to be stashed in the attic. A stark naked living room, devoid of
holiday decorations, indignantly stares back at me. It demands an explanation.
True, the corner does appear
dark and bare without those cheerful tree lights. The oak table’s scarred surface seems painfully obvious minus
the distracting basket full of greens and berries flanked by two red pillar
candles in star-shaped glass holders.
Ordinary is good, I tell the room. Most of life happens right smack dab in the
middle of everydayness. I like you this way – simple, comfortable.
Perhaps if it had the ability,
it might agree. It has witnessed
many celebrations and holidays: birthday parties with twisted streamers
dangling from the ceiling, 4th of July chocolate dirt cakes featuring
emerging gummy worms and edible rocks. Each year it comes alive with festive
personality during the Christmas season, mirroring the goodness and gladness of
the season. But most of the time
it simply facilitates day-to-day life.
Precious are the moments here, I tell it. This
is where we practice the fine art of living day in and day out, come what may. Special holidays and celebrations can be
fun, cohesive, and inspiring. But
there’s something to be said for the daily grind.
The two duck decoys on the
mantle, returned to their usual station after our Christmas stockings vacated
it, look back knowingly. I can see
they agree. We have a consensus. It is good to be back to normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment