Friends, a delightful couple and their three equally delightful children, visited
today to share a late-summer-sun-spangled lakeside afternoon. The boys
immediately paired up with the kayaks for some paddle-driven exploration, then
Zorro’d the lake in tubes behind the ski boat, zig-zagging and slashing the water
in repetitive Z formations.
After all that activity, they needed sustenance, and
refueled with fresh cherries and cinnamon pastries while considering the next
activity. However, out of respect
for one member of the party who was not especially a water person by nature, we
all piled in the pontoon for a lazier, less adventurous excursion.
Or so we thought.
After touring awhile, we dropped anchor in a private bay
surrounded by wild shoreline, a perfect place for a swim. The friendly cattails waved their
greetings as if delighted by our presence. Sunlight dappled the lapping water. Swans swam nearby, lost in their own
reverie. Serenity at its best.
A touch of paradise.
When it was time to go, we pulled up anchor, and I turned
the key in the ignition. Nothing. Not even a hum. Dead battery? Maybe I didn’t turn the key all the way to the off position
when we stopped.
Not too far away we noticed a classy fishing boat with a 114
hp engine and a couple of manly-looking fishermen, so I whistled my loudest womanly
wolf whistle and waved my arms above my head – a pathetic, old-lady distress signal.
They saw us, and their boat nosed in our direction. Good!
We’d already pulled up anchor and were drifting steadily
toward the shoreline where the propeller could tangle itself in cattails and/or
get stuck in muck. I debated about
throwing the anchor in again, and yet the rescue squad was fast approaching. We threw them
the anchor rope, the only one on board, just as the back of our pontoon neared the
lilies. They took off. The pontoon obediently followed. Whew!
Meanwhile the non-water-lover on board kindly laughed and
made light of the situation, which helped me feel slightly less like I deserved
a D- in boat handling. Even though
I did.
The muscle-bound fishermen (surely they were really football
players) towed us home. Meanwhile,
an observant neighbor watched from our pier. As we drew near, he spontaneously jumped in, fully clothed,
and helped us position the pontoon in the appropriate spot beside the pier.
Adventure? I
think that’s the right word, according to an online dictionary:
adventure – n. -
An unusual and exciting, typically hazardous, experience or activity; an
undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks.
I once read an author who felt mankind was created to live
for two things: beauty and adventure.
We experienced both today.
No comments:
Post a Comment