Thursday, August 16, 2012

Rainy Day Bread-Baking Experiment




Gray skies continued to darken here all morning, and finally around 9:00 released their tears to drill the lake with unrelenting schrapnel-drops.  Thunder rumbled like an advancing army, ever closer.

Unexpectedly, at 9:15, the wind stilled, rain turned to gentle dimples, and thunder ran the other way, yelping and retreating with its tail between its legs.  Maybe I’d take a walk after all?  But no, it returned, bringing cold dampness that settled in, like a bulldog or maybe an opinionated tomcat, to stay.



Meanwhile, I gave up on walking and decided to bake instead. At church this coming Saturday a group of women be reviewing The True Vine by Andrew Murray - conversing about the application of Jesus’ parable of the grapevine and its branches in John 15 to everyday life.  So I decided to bake grape-cluster-shaped breads to share at our luncheon before the book discussion.  Here they are, before rising…



…and here's one during rising…



…and after baking.


No comments: