Summer is waning (sniff sniff) and it’s time for our large mint
patch to flower. I’m told by
knowing old-time neighbors that a hidden artesian spring – one sadly covered
over and rerouted to its source by previous owners of the property – explains
why this volunteer patch does so well, even in drought situations. No doubt some waters are still seeping
up to the surface of the earth, and probably this spot behind the seawall is the point of least
resistance.
This afternoon I noticed the tall stems dressed in fragrant
leaves had abruptly sprouted Tinkerbelle-sized heads wearing hats made of tiny
purple blossoms. It’s as if the
whole patch suddenly decided to put on Easter bonnets. Dress-up at its best.
I knew mint flowers are supposed to be edible (as well as the
leaves, of course), so I tried just the teeniest bite with my front teeth – a
snip – that I continued to chew, nibbling like a chipmunk.
POW! MINT
CONCENTRATE! Breath freshener at
its best! Who knew such delicate, girly-looking little blossoms could pack this
kind of punch?
No comments:
Post a Comment