Saturday, October 28, 2017

Saying Farewell



Everything changes when I visit a quiet plot of earth back by the woods where tiny seeds miraculously grow into flowers and vegetables. It brings me much joy.

“Isn’t a garden so much work?” a friend asked with empathetic eyes.  Yes, of course – almost daily, from spring through fall, as a labor of love. And yet in some ways, my garden reminds me of a flourishing, well-loved child. My husband, who is neither a gardener nor a poet, and had not heard me speak of this, got it right. 

“I know why the plants in your garden do so well,” he said on a hot day back in July, when tomatoes hung heavy on their vines and everything was lush.

“Oh?  Why?” I replied.

“Because you love them, and they know it.”

Winter squash is now piled in five-gallon buckets in the shed. I recently pulled the last of the beets, and will pick beans, kale, lettuce (a second planting) and swiss chard until a heavy frost disables them. This should be very soon.

It’s almost November, and time to let go of my summer garden - a beautiful cathedral-like sanctuary where God’s presence seems very real. Time to say good-bye to living things that have nourished soul as well as body for months. Time to be grateful for giving it all I had to give, and receiving the most in return.



No comments: