Thursday, April 7, 2016

Magical Mayo



I’ve done this a ga-zillion times, but it never ceases to amaze me. 

Put a farm-fresh raw egg, lemon juice, dry mustard, salt, and oil in a glass jar - I like avocado oil, but light olive is a fine second choice.  Whiz it all together fast and furiously for 20 seconds with an immersion blender, plus another 10 seconds (to jiggle the wand a little from bottom-to-top in order to incorporate all the oil).  Presto, delicious, healthier-than-Hellmann's mayonnaise!

After lunch I gathered ingredients to make salad: broccoli, cauliflower, onions, bell peppers, raisins, and goat feta.  This mixture would require time to marinate to be really-really good in a salad for dinner this evening.  Sadly, I realized I’d used the last of my awesome homemade mayo yesterday, and I needed some for the dressing.

But! In less than 5 minutes (from start to end-of-clean-up) I had just what I needed: freshly-made mayonnaise to add to my other salad ingredients.
    
Delicious!  Magical!










No comments: