Sunday, January 31, 2016

Worth the Wait




In December of 2014, we were given a small poinsettia plant - a traditional holiday gift from a dear friend. Not long after, its leaves started curling and falling off as they often do at the end of the season.  But unlike my response to similar plants in years past, I didn’t discard this poinsettia.  Instead, I placed it by a sunny window with other houseplants, and watered it. 

All through the spring it held on.  Slowly, new leaves appeared.  In the summer I began to wonder what would happen if I kept it until Christmas of 2015?  A neighbor cared for it while we were gone during the month of October.  Soon after Thanksgiving, I was delighted to discover a few very small red leaves interspersed here and there between green ones.  A small but unmistakable victory!

However, that’s not the end of the story.

I continued to water this now-precious poinsettia, having become somehow attached to it in life-giving ways.  Yes, I gave it minimal care - but it also strangely encouraged me with its perseverance. 

Just this week a full “bloom” appeared unexpectedly as a surprise, reminding me that I can’t predict or coerce beauty, only behold its splendor with awe.  It is small compared with its original “blooms,” and yet I think it especially striking in a unique, unexplainable, and inspiring way.





No comments: