Concern is often our response to suffering’s blow. “I feel so much compassion for the Syrian
refugees,” we murmur, and we mean it.
Or, “I feel so badly for you” when confronted with a friend’s struggle,
pain, or loss.
That’s very nice. But
something else may be more important than the feeling part, which is, after all, more about us than them.
I’m talking about about acting
out compassion, freely offering our physical, emotional, and intuitive
selves (and perhaps also our resources) without reservation. Co-experiencing. Connecting.
Getting-under-the-skin-of-the-other-person. Being vulnerable enough to voluntarily share their
dark pit. After all, only when we’re actually
in that bleak place can we be genuinely
helpful in supporting the overthrow of the drooling gremlins that have staked their
claim there.
It seems more popular to espouse a compassionate ideology
than to practice it these days. We often talk a good line, but less frequently
live it. Real compassion, however, is active and powerful, an agent of change
and renewal.
I am grateful for a daughter who gets this. Recently I was overwhelmed by a certain bogeyman
(a bugaboo of advancing age, I suppose) that momentarily strangled my deep
heart and soul - AND injected a mega dose of inadequacy. And yet this adult child, who is half my age, stepped
right smack dab into the moment to make a difference. Compassion shone from her eyes. She spoke it, delivered it through her hands
that touched me gently, knowingly.
Someone else might have pooh-poohed the whole mess and
suggested I “snap out of it” and stop making such a big deal out of such small
stuff (which admittedly, in the big picture, it was). But she mercifully
offered kindness, the antedote that helped break the spell much more
effectively than logic.
I soaked up her provision like a thirsty, wilted flower. And
now, some days later, she continues to graciously support and uphold me as I
walk away from my earlier discouragement with fresh perspective.
She has been an agent of healing, a human mirror of divine mercy. I am
grateful.
* * *
“Ever let mercy outweigh all else in you. Let our compassion be
a mirror where we may see in ourselves that likeness and that true image which
belong to the Divine nature and Divine essence…”
— St. Isaac of Syria
No comments:
Post a Comment