Thursday, August 20, 2015

Thanksgiving Dinner in August



It’s been a cool, windy day, a forerunner of approaching autumn.  In the morning I watched white foam rebound against the seawall, and goldenrod stream away from the lake like a horse’s tail at full gallop. It was downright cold.






In the afternoon I finally gave in to the chill and changed into a long-sleeved shirt, and an idea came to me.  I’d prepare a mini-Thanksgiving dinner!  Everyone has heard of Christmas in July, right, so why not Thanksgiving in August? What better time to be grateful for abundant blessings, and celebrate with a feast? Of course the meal would need to comply with our anti-inflammatory goals (gluten, sugar, and dairy-free).  Why not give it a go? 

I had appropriate ingredients on hand and got right to work.  The menu ended up being interesting and tasty: fresh baby kale salad with dry-roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds, chicken stuffed with lemon and sage (the sage was grown in my side yard), steamed locally-grown green beans topped with a walnut sauce and caramelized onions, butternut squash and apples baked in a cinnamon goo, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie.  Here are a few pictures in case you’re not salivating yet.










No comments: