Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pesto


A couple of neighbors invited me to join them in making pesto from lakeside basil growing a few doors down from our house.  I gladly agreed, and was soon pulling leaves from stems and toasting pine nuts in a skillet at my namesake’s house (the other Beth on our road).

I returned home with aromatic green stuff begging for some sort of culinary adventure. So I thawed frozen (wild caught) cod steaks and topped them with the fresh pesto, then added sliced super-ripe roma tomatoes (purchased from a roadside stand), crumbled goat feta, and pine nuts. I drizzled everything with olive oil and placed the pan in a hot oven (450 degrees) until the fish flaked and the nuts began to gently brown.







Black and wild rice (cooked together and seasoned with garlic and thyme), and roasted baby peppers/ mushrooms/ Bermuda onions/kale…and a glass of very nice, no-sulfite-added cabernet sauvignon…were perfect companions.   






Mmmmmmmmmmm.  I could easily become a pesto-holic.










No comments: