Wednesday, December 17, 2014

One Lap at a Time



A bent-over gentleman slowly inched his way around the track at the gym this morning, his cage-like walker obediently stabilizing each tentative step.  Every time I passed him I felt the burden of his incapacity, and yet applauded him for making the effort, one lap at a time. He was doing what he could.

Later in the afternoon I remembered him when bending inwardly to the pressure of hearing loss and weighty noise inside my head: tinnitus.  Oversensitivity made ordinary kitchen sounds (a whirring food processor and clinking pans) nearly intolerable.  

As I faced my auditory limitations for the millionth time, I considered how they are steering me to make certain decisions. Also how God’s mercy, fresh and new every morning, is my "walker" that enables me to keep going when I feel like quitting - to do what I can, one lap at a time.





No comments: