I’m sentimentally attached to my wind-up Mirro Matic kitchen
timer. We go way back to summers in the 1950’s when I helped my mother make
blueberry jam at the lake cottage.
The timer is predictably accurate and reliable, so it’s not
to blame for the fact that I burned a tray of Christmas cookies today. I simply
could no longer hear its sweet, chiming “ding.”
For this reason, I've decided it must be time to retire the Mirro Matic.
My oven has a timer built into its digital panel, one that
wails a continuous, raucous ba-bleeeeeep, ba-bleeeeeep, ba-bleeeeep like some screaming,
eccentric lunatic. I'll be using it now. At least I won’t be able
to ignore its riotous cries, unless I’m not wearing my hearing aids in which case
I won’t hear a thing and could easily burn more cookies.
Thanks for sharing minutes in the kitchen with me, Mirro Matic.
You’ve been a loyal friend.

No comments:
Post a Comment