I love getting together with my local daughter-in-law to
catch up on our lives: her five kids
and feeding the masses and homeschooling and being-the-hub-of-everything-all-the-time (a
busy-busy bee), and my continuing
advances into seniorville (an explorer of uncharted depths).
When she agreed to join me for a dinner of soup and salad at
my house, just the two of us, I decided to go girly with my mother’s antique
blue china and “soft” table accessories. I pulled out an ancient linen
tablecloth with hand-appliqued flowers (actually too small for the table, but
it looked pretty cocked at an angle), and a couple of not-too-tall taper candles
for ambiance. But what about a centerpiece?
My flowers in the garden were goners; any lingering zinnas and marigolds had recently
been struck a lethal blow by freezing temps, leaving their blossoms either limp and lifeless or dead-brown.
But then I thought, I
have fresh herbs that survived the freeze! They were still green and aromatic, lovely and
varied in appearance. I cut a handful of
sage, oregano, mint, and rosemary sprigs and arranged them in my favorite silver-plated
vase, a relic from our wedding day in 1971.
Although sweet-smelling and visually interesting, they still needed
something else for contrast….ah, a single flowering offshoot from a succulent
I’d brought indoors! The bouquet seemed
“almost there” at this point, and yet not quite. I decided to explore our
roadside, and returned with tall grasses that were drying into artsy curls, and tiny, leafless
spikes dotted with miniscule pink buds – the perfect finishing touches.
I’ve heard beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which is
true. But even more essentially, beauty
is everywhere, all the time, reflecting the Giver of it “who art in all places
and filling all things.” (Trisagion Prayer) It’s a matter of having eyes to see
the simple but elegant, real-time beauty of life-in-progress.


1 comment:
:) I'm sure you BOTH were blessed by such a thoughtfully prepared and beautiful table, meal & conversation. Incidentally, I just finished reading a book by Dorothy Day's granddaughter about Dorothy. The title was "Dorothy Day: The World Will Be Saved by Beauty" -- If I remember correctly, that phrase re. beauty was one of DD's favorite quotes by Dostoevsky...
Post a Comment