I remember a squat, wooden box with four legs that stood just
to the right of Granny’s favorite chair like a faithful pet, holding darning
eggs and other sewing accessories. To
the left, a window showcased her flower garden.
Imposing gladiolas stood on the other side of that window in late
summer, shouting visual glories from their multi-colored trumpets. I can still picture Granny sitting in that
chair with a decorative brooch modestly pinning the V-neck of her housedress, as
she methodically darned holes in socks - slowly and carefully weaving threads
while spikes of color waved in the background.
Great Aunt Jen’s tatting shuttles were stored in that same
sewing box. The two sisters lived
together toward the end of their lives, but Aunt Jen’s near-blindness severely
curtailed her activities. Her magnified eyes curiously peered at me like deep,
watery pools from behind thick lenses, distorted yet always friendly. I was
told that before those glasses, she did lots of handwork: crocheting,
embroidering, knitting, and tatting intricate lace edges for pillowcases – her
way of inviting weary heads to lie down for rest amidst beauty.
The old sewing box harkens back to a phase when I was interested
in playing hide-and-seek with barn kitties, or snooping in the musty-smelling attic
with its feather bed filled with down from Granny’s chickens. There were stories about that attic - how my
dad hid secretive things in the floor boards, and how Grandpa used to slaughter
a hog that would hang up there all winter, providing cuts of meat as needed.
And yet I was a thoughtful child, and paid attention. I noticed things, like darning eggs and
flowers. I realized Granny’s life was predictably orderly and quiet, and
appreciated the resulting calm. I liked the
tantalizing aromas always hanging heavy in her kitchen, and how cookie jars
(one in the kitchen, one in the dining room) were dependably full of spicy
molasses cookies. There was something unique about all of that that made the
world secure and right.
* * *
Today I rediscovered a few relics from Granny’s sewing box: darning
eggs and tatting shuttles that had been stashed in a little child-sized trunk
belonging to my mother when she was a girl (just slightly bigger than Granny’s
box, and memorable in its own right). As memories replayed, I couldn’t help but
note how lifestyles have changed drastically.
We no longer darn socks (now considered disposable), and are shaped by expectations
for speed and convenience that tend to redefine, or even overlook, beauty. As I cradled those mementos in my hands,
their messages seemed clear: challenges yield character, simplicity renews and
nurtures, and hard work pays big dividends in fulfillment.

1 comment:
"I realized Granny’s life was predictably orderly and quiet, and appreciated the resulting calm. I liked the tantalizing aromas always hanging heavy in her kitchen, and how cookie jars (one in the kitchen, one in the dining room) were dependably full of spicy molasses cookies. There was something unique about all of that that made the world secure and right."
Those words reminded me of MY grandmother's life/home! Now I wonder if SHE realized how orderly, quiet and calm it was....And more importantly, I wonder if ANYone feels that way about MY space!
BTW, I have a few of those darning tools myself. Not sure I've ever used them, but I absolutely treasure them.
Post a Comment