My mother often said, “Necessity is the mother of
invention.” I find this to be so true in
the kitchen, especially with organic vegetables growing profusely in the
garden.
Take swiss chard, for example. It is especially prolific. I’ve cooked it, juiced it, casseroled it, and filled omelettes with
it. What next?
Okay, so here’s what happened.
Last night I sautéed/carmelized minced onion and mushroom stems in
olive oil, and then added pre-cooked swiss chard (finely chopped and squeezed
dry), crumbled goat feta, and a sprinkle each of oregano, basil, salt and
pepper. Then I hand-packed this mixture
in inverted mushroom caps (very large ones), placed them in a baking dish, and sprinkled
the tops with Varmesan (our homemade vegan parmesan) and a little more olive
oil.
Thirty minutes later they came out of the oven, little saliva-inducing
dainties that proved even swiss chard has an elegant side. J
No comments:
Post a Comment