Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Sa-Zoop!




We consume lots of homemade soup in the winter; every week I fill a stew pot almost to the tippy-top with some sort of soupy creation.  It’s become a tradition to share a serving with each neighbor living on either side - in both cases, single people who don’t cook much.  I look forward to delivering the small warm bowl each time, and visiting for a few minutes.  It’s a good way to stay caught up during the cold months when we’re all inside so much.

The most recent sa-zoop (say it with an Italian chef's accent, please, and flick a wooden spoon in the air for flourish) was a throw-together featuring hearty peas, lentils, and brown and wild rice cooked in chicken stock.  I added carrots, celery, onion, bell pepper, tomatoes, and plenty-plenty (that means lots) of cabbage, and threw in some chunks of chicken just because, well, everyone expects meat.  I honestly think it would have been fine and dandy as a vegetarian sa-zoop, but that’s just me.



1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Sounds like what goes on here! It would definitely be difficult to duplicate any of the soups I "do"! I often add a spoonful of peanut butter to them.

By the way, I "cheat" by using canned beans. I see your dried ones and wonder. Do you cook them BEFORE adding them to the soup or rinse and then add them dry? I actually have several bags of beans in a canister. I have no idea how old they are! If they haven't sprouted, do you think they'd work????