Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No Mask




Today I held Carter, a precious three-week-old baby boy, in my arms.  With only inches between us, he stared me down as if we were long lost soul mates from some other era or dimension who had suddenly reconnected; soul mates who knew each other through-and-through.

I’ve seen this look before.  It’s an innocent, probing-yet-knowing, penetrating-to-the-bone look without any trace of pretense or distraction.

It got me thinking.

Perhaps at birth we are perfectly “real” by virtue of inherent God-like-ness. Perhaps that “realness” gets covered up as we, in our self-absorption, learn to refocus on everything EXCEPT what is “real,” and then spend our entire lives seeking to recapture it. 

Jesus wasn’t kidding when his disciples were haggling about which one was the greatest among them.  He didn’t say, “Grow up, guys.”  Instead He said, “You must change and become like little children.”

Perhaps baby Carter had a message for me today.  I don’t want to miss it.




No comments: